Monday, September 27, 2010

24 Hours Without

Prior to the beginning of this experience, I had a moment in which I realized just how many things I would be giving up for 24 hours. I also realized how often I use these things. This picture shows my laptop, cell phone, Ipod, TV remote, DVD player remote, and two books I am currently reading. Truthfully, I did not want to go through with this project. However, I knew that I would undoubtedly learn from it. I remember wondering if, at the end of the 24 hours, I would feel glad to have stepped outside my comfort zone. I was curious, and finally decided to start at 12:00 am on Thursday, September 23rd.




This picture was taken in the morning. Instead of immediately calling my mother after my first class, as I always do, I sat down outside to do some homework. This made me think. Technology plays such a huge role in my life! I never even realized that my entire daily routine is practically centered around media and technology. I ended up finishing a significant amount of homework before my next class, which made me wonder if I should make this a regular part of my schedule on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I would certainly have more free time at night. Maybe I would even get more sleep!


This photo was taken around noon on Thursday. I was realizing that it was 12:00 because band practice was starting. To ensure that I was not late, I arrived very early. However, I still was not aware of the exact time until Dr. Tobias announced that we should begin. Even while surrounded by the 300 members of the marching band, I felt extrememly isolated and alone. This feeling scares me. Should I be that dependent upon technology? Just because I could not check my cell phone for the time, I felt disconnected from the rest of the world.





After band practice and lunch, I decided to go out to Duck Pond and relax. Since I had no more classes that day, I figured that I did not have to run directly to the bus stop and go back to my appartment, as I would have done any other day. Doing this made me truly think about what is really valuable in life. Maybe I should take more time to appreciate everything around me, and slow down. I know now that I need to take more time to notice the simple things. I found this time that I spent without any media/technology to be very enjoyable, simply because my friends and I were having fun, without any distractions or interuptions from anyone else. Perhaps activities such as this should also become a part of my every day schedule.




Silliness aside, this picture perfectly explains my emotional state at this point in the experience. I had gone approximately 15 hours without any media or technology. Therefore, I was determined to succeed. I was actually enjoying myself, for the most part. Despite my feelings from earlier that day, I was beginning to believe that going without technology every once in a while is not so bad. 




I continued to be amazed by how much homework and studying I was finishing. Who knew that media and technology could be such a distraction? I did not even realize that I could get MOST of my work done before going home for the day! I think this definitely connects to education. As future educators, we need to be sure to pass this knowledge on to our students. By placing all interuptions and disruptions aside, much more can be accomplished.



Later in the day, I decided to study with my friend, Christina. We had two major assignments due the next day. Again, I found that we accomplished much more than we would have if cell phones and the internet had been involved. However, I also realized that because I did not immediately go back to my appartment after class,like I would have any other day, I had the opportunity to study with a friend. This made our work much more enjoyable and effective. Simply talking with another person about any objective usually brings a greater understanding to both individuals. We were able to debate about certain things and ask eachother questions. When we finished, we both felf extrememly accomplished. This would not have happened if I had been able to use technology and media. I would have gone home after my last class and studied by myself. This is another way that my experience connects with education. I have discovered a new way to study that is both faster, and more efficient.



This is my roommate, Megan. She was very supportive all day, until around 7:00 pm. Then she just had to get on Facebook. Since I had finished all my homework on campus, I had absolutely nothing to do. I wanted to check my email so badly! I felt frustration, but also determination. Right after this picture was taken, she wanted to tell me about something she found on facebook, but I refused.




Around 7:30 pm, Megan and I decided to cook dinner and eat at the table. On any other day we would have simply taken our meal to the living room to watch TV. However, since I was not using any form of media, our normal routine did not suffice. I think this activity is something we should do more often, as well. It was nice to talk about our days without having the TV on in the background. For once, our converstations were not interupted with a new episode of "Teen Mom" or "Criminal Minds." (each of our favorite shows) We just talked about school, friends, and family. It was very nice. These are the types of experiences that we should all value. No TV show or Facebook page is a match for true, uninterupted conversation.




I chose to occupy my time by playing with the magnets on our refrigerator. This was probably the low point of my entire experience. I was definitely struggling, especially because I had already finished all my homework. Megan and I bought a pack of magnets consisting of hundreds of words. I spent a long time constructing various sentences (Some made sense, while others did not). This made me think even more about the role that technology plays in my life. I was so bored that I was willing to do almost anything that would entertain me. I realized that I am so dependent on media and technology that when I do not have it, my world turns upside down. I am going to try to change this about myself by using less technology and media daily.



This is a picture of one of the sentences I contructed on my refrigerator (see the picture above). Obviously, I was still having a hard time entertaining myself.



Finally it was 12:00 am on Friday! My 24 hours without technology and media were finally over. (I noted, after taking this picture, that I had never acually looked at this clock to tell time, until that moment.) Although I had learned so much about myself and media's role in the world, I was beyond relieved. However, I have decided that changes could be made in my life to improve certain areas of it. I believe everyone should participate in an experience such as this one at least once. I know that my perspective on media and technology has completely been altered. Media and technology should be a parts of our lives. We should control them, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment